Water is the essence to all life forms. Even though it’s a natural resource that can be replenished, it’s one that most of us tend to take for granted. Our growing dependency and carefree use of water has led to shortage especially in urban and upcoming urban areas. However, it proves dangerous considering the growing population in such urban areas;it leads to a growing demand in water supply.
With that rise in demand, comes an increasing need to conserve. The growing importance of water has made this a necessity to prevent depletion. While many actions have been taken to conserve water, one that stands out is rainwater harvesting. What is it? Quite simply put, it involves the collection of rainwater from the surface that it drips on. The water is then collected and stored so as to meet a variety of needs.
So why consider it then? Why should it be a part of corporate social responsibility? Apart from the fact that harvesting rainwater is among one of the top methods to conserve water, there are a variety of benefits associated with it.
- The first and most obvious benefit of rainwater harvesting is that it could certainly help save on your water bills. There’s no dependence on dams or other means of storage to retrieve water.
- Let’s not forget that the investment cost is quite low to harvest water. It also provides individuals with a sense of responsibility to manage the water being used.
- In areas where water isn’t very abundant such as metros and cities, rainwater harvesting can prove to be crucial as it increases the overall availability.
- It reduces the dependency on groundwater since the rain water is harvested.
- It reduces the chances of rivers and dams getting dried up.
- In other cases, it helps in reducing water logging and can also reduce the chances of soil erosion.
The uses for such water can also be many. The rain water that’s collected can be used for flush tanks, laundry, washing dishes, watering plants in the community, washing cars and so on.
Today, rainwater harvesting should be taken into serious consideration especially in urban areas and cities. This is solely because rains can often be sporadic, causing concern for the availability of water. Hence the need to conserve this precious resource.
This is where developers and builders have also come into the fray to help communities save water. SFS Homes have been designing their projects with such initiatives in mind. This is seen in the all SFS projects.If you’re looking real estate investment from builders and developers that indulge in such conservational techniques, then SFS Homes may be exactly what you’re looking for.